Posted by on 7/19/2019 to
I am thinking about ordering a urinary iodine test, now what?
What test to order?
- Spot: This test is a basic check to examine if you are ingesting enough iodine to prevent goiter. The results are compared to World Health Organization recommendations.
- 24 hour load test/challenge: This test examines total body sufficiency for iodine. Iodine is important for every tissue and organ in the body, not just the thyroid. After ingesting a 50mg load dose, every urine excretion is collected for a 24 hour period.
- Combination (spot and load): Both of the tests (spot and load) completed at the same time.
Should I add bromide, fluoride, and/or chloride?
- These three, along with iodine are in the halogen family of the periodic table. Where iodine is useful in every tissue and organ, bromide and fluoride have no use in the body. They compete for binding sites within the cell.
- A decision to add these elements does not have to be made with the initial order. Samples are held and kept stable in the lab for 30 days. Call anytime within that 30 day period if you would like us to pull your sample from storage for additional testing.
Are there any foods/beverages/supplements I should avoid before testing?
- Supplements containing iodine, including multi-vitamins
- Refrain from ingesting anything containing iodine 3 days (72 hours) before beginning testing.
- Kits are shipped via USPS Priority mail
- Within the kit is a prepaid return mailer. It is business reply class, which takes 5 business days on average. If you wish, you may pay the post office for upgraded shipping.
- Once a sample is received in the lab, it is processed within 2 business days.
- Results will be reported one business day after processed.
- Are delivered via snail mail or the electronic email portal, Secure Drawer.
- Select how you would like results delivered on the requisition form within the kit
- We try to make them easy to understand, but if you need additional clarification, email or call us with questions.
Is it for children?
- Though the original research was conducted on adults, we are able to test on children under the age of 18
- The loading dose is adjusted according to weight and age, however, collection methods are the same.
- Contact us regarding any testing on youth
- Every drop of every urine excretion must be collected for accurate results.
- Individuals as well as health care providers may order kits.
- Shipping cost per kit is $10 in the United States.
- If you miss a collection, call us at 1-877-238-1779 to discuss options
- Make a careful note of total volume, this influences the lab calculations.
- Continue to eat and drink as you normally would
- Mail the sample as soon as possible after the finish of the 24 hour collection period.
- The collections do not have to be refrigerated, however, we recommend that they are to reduce the odor.
- Once in the collection vials, the sample is stable for 30 days, no matter the temperature.
- We are not able to send kits to California or New York.
- A woman’s cycle does not have an effect on the results.
- We are able to ship kits internationally, contact us for an accurate shipping price quote.
*Before beginning testing, discuss any history of thyroid surgery, thyroid radiation, Hashimoto disease, and any previous thyroid problems with your health care provider*
Are you ready to order? Click here!
We are happy to answer any questions over email [email protected] or phone 1-877-238-1779.