Posted by on 7/10/2020 to
As the formulators and compounders of LugoTabs, we here at Hakala Research are very proud of our products! We believe that they are superior to other iodine supplements out there, here is why:
- A variety of strengths to address every person’s individual needs. We even offer a dissolving tablet for people who have trouble swallowing pills! Our tablets are scored for additional dose variation.
- LugoTabs do not contain unnecessary elements. If your body does not need it or an element is not absolutely necessary for the tablet production it is not included! As an example, our tablets do not have a pharmaceutical glaze because it is not necessary to help the body. Additionally, LugoTabs are free of dyes, gluten, dairy, corn, sugar, and nuts. They are GMO free and vegan.
- Hakala Research has rigorous QC. Every small batch is tested by our staff lab techs. Periodically, we send tablets to an independent lab to ensure that they maintain the highest standards. See the blog for our most recent independent test.
- We consistently upgrade materials used in our products. The purest sources of iodine are used to create our tablets. Our iodine comes from deep water wells or the salt mines in Chile
- Continuous production innovations, which sometimes lead to the tablets having slight variations in color from batch to batch. We test new punching techniques and tablet punche shapes regularly. Fortunately, we are a small compounding lab, so we have the freedom to improve and implement methods.
- Tablet vs. Liquid: Our tablets start out as raw materials, our owner and compounding pharmacist then blends the ingredients to create the 5% liquid Lugol’s solution. From here the liquid solution is dried, then punched into tablet form. Since our tablets are formulated from the liquid, the tablets and liquid are absorbed exactly the same. There are a few key reasons we decided to offer the tablet form versus the liquid:
- In some states, the higher percentage of the liquid Lugol’s solution requires a doctor’s prescription and a compounding pharmacist to make it.
- The liquid tends to stain (skin, tongue, clothing).
- With the liquid, a person must use a dropper to measure out dose. The dropper is not an exact science and dose tends to vary based on drop size.
- Finally, the liquid has a very distinct flavor and some people find the taste off putting
- We offer a generous return policy: Unopened supplements are accepted within 30 days of order
Interesting facts and common questions answered:
- How does the dosage of liquid compare to the tablets? One drop of Lugol’s Solution 5% = 6.25mg LugoTab tablet
- How does the iodine impact my TSH? With the increase in iodine, the need to increase symporter to transport iodine into the cell. To increase symporter, the TSH increases. This is usually a transient effect and will be back to normal levels within 6 months. We recommend that you complete a free T3 and T4 levels.
- I had a headache after taking iodine, am I allergic to iodine? A very small percentage of people are allergic to iodine, a headache is a common detox reaction, along with a runny nose, brassy/copper taste in the mouth, and rash along the chest or hairline. Additionally, the consumption of mg strengths of iodine helps to detox Bromide and Fluoride as well as a handful of heavy metals including Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Aluminum, and Arsenic
- LugoTabs contain Microcrystaline cellulose, what is it? This is an inert compound that is not absorbed, just acts as a carrier.
- LugoTabs contain HPMC, what is it? HPMC is hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. It is inert but is added to make the tablets easier to swallow.
- I am concerned about the potassium content. What does it mean? As a point of reference, the average banana contains 422mg of potassium. Each drop of 5% Lugol’s = 1.25mg of Potassium. The amount of potassium in a 12.5mg LugoTab is 2.1mg
- What is Nascent iodine? How does it compare to LugoTabs? The two forms of iodine within the LugoTab (iodine and potassium iodide) targets every cell in the body, whereas nascent iodine (Nascent Iodine sometimes known by the generic term atomic iodine) is just one form of iodine. Nascent iodine is a low dose form of iodine, patients typically ingest large quantities. I don't know if there have been studies done on whole body sufficiency, but, some of the samples we have tested for patients taking it show that it does work, although we have no idea how much they take or for how long. Interesting to note is that it does not seem to detox bromide and fluoride like Lugol's does, here again this may be due to the low concentration of iodine in the product.
- Are LugoTabs bio-availabile? Iodine in and of itself is nearly 100% absorbed, so this is a non-issue.
- Can I take too much? Iodine, similar to many vitamins, has a negative feedback loop. Meaning, once the body hits sufficiency, the rest is excreted.
Ready to buy yours? Find all of the LugoTab strengths here!
We recently had an independent lab test our tablets, find the result below: